Monday, December 2, 2013

Food Adventures- Cuttlefish

In November I went to Barcelona to celebrate my friend Robert's birthday.  Hopefully I'll get around to writing a post about it soon, but first I wanted to tell you about the famous 4 Gats.  4 Gats is a restaurant that has been open for over 100 years and made famous by Pablo Picasso's many visits.  He even made paintings in honor of the restaurant.


Why am I telling you this?  Well, this is where Robert want to go for his birthday dinner.  We went in and decided to be adventurous.  We ordered some appetizers, entrees, and a dessert.  The apps were tasteless, my entree was okay, and the puff pastry dessert contained no puff pastry.  We started to think that someone played a horrible trick on 4 Gats by miss translating their menu.  The real kicker was Robert's entree: Cassoleta de sípia de platja amb picada or Cuttlefish Casserole.  We had no idea what cuttlefish was but Robert and I are from the midwest.  We know casserole.  What came out was not a casserole; instead it was a stew!  A stew with tentacles and a weird white protein covered in something brown.  After watching Robert struggle to take a few bites we switched plates.  After a couple bites I gave up, too.  Later that night we looked up what a cuttlefish actually was:


Yep, we ate that and mysteriously two days later I ended up with the flu.  Coincidence?  I'll let you decide.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment