Monday, January 13, 2014

Learning to Speak British

Growing up in the US I thought I knew how to speak English.  I even knew that there were two ways of pronouncing "Z" thanks to the Canadian Broadcasting Channel's version of Sesame Street.  Now that I'm living in the UK I have learnt that British English and American English are two different things entirely.

When I first came to the UK I kept avoiding foods with "aubergine" because I thought it was some kind of sardine fish.   I didn't figure out what aubergines (UK: eggplants) were until I went to a "You-Pick Farm" (UK: Pick-your-own).  I wandered the fields until I came upon as posted sign stating what type of vegetable was actually planted in the field.

UK   =   US
aubergine = eggplant
bangers = sausage
biscuit = cookie
brown sauce = steak sauce (HP Sauce)
chips = french fries
courgette = zucchini
coriander = cilantro
crisps = potato chips
digestive = round cookie
entree = appetizer
jacket potato = baked potato
marrow = squash
pudding = dessert
red sauce = ketchup
rocket = arugula
spring onion = green onion
swede = rutabaga

Once I figured out the proper name for food I felt fairly confident in my British English.  That was until I started playing Monkey-in-the-Middle (UK: Pig-in-the-Middle) with my roommate's niece (Age: 10) and nephew (Age: 7).  Both the kids where in their pajamas (UK: jim-jams) and the little boy started to overheat.  I bent down and suggested he, "...roll up his pants."  Immediately, he had a look of horror on his face and his sister burst out into laughter saying, "She means trousers, Louie, trousers!"  Little did I know but I had just suggested he roll up his underwear!  The rest of the night was spent quizzing me on how I said things or giggling at my accent.  :)

UK   =   US
budgie smuggler = men's speedo
jumper = sweater
pants = underwear
pinafore = jumper
tartan = plaid
trainers = gym shoes
trousers = pants
stockings = tights/nylons
sweater = sweatshirt
wellies = rubber boots
Y-fronts = men's briefs





No comments:

Post a Comment