Friday, September 13, 2013

Food Adventures - Haggis


(Sorry I thought I had posted this a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't work!)

Before heading to Scotland I started to look up the traditional Scottish fare.  Haggis, neeps, tatties, rollmops, crappit heid, and potted hough all came up in my search.  Of course I had no idea what any of those were or how they were made.  Then I turned to my UK coworkers and asked them what I should try while in Scotland.  The answer: Scotch and Haggis.  I had no problem with the first, but on further inspection I was nervous about the haggis.  Sure I've tried the traditional mushy peas that go with the fish and chips, but they ware just mashed up, bland peas.  Haggis on the other hand is scary.  It is made with a she eps stomach, heart and lunch of one lamb, onion, spices, and oatmeal.  That's it.  Sounds tasty doesn’t it?


Looks yummy doesn't it?  What is up with these Brits and their mushed up food?  I have a confession to make to you.  I hope you aren't offended.  I love haggis!!!  It is so flavorful and goes perfectly with neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes).  If you ever get a chance make sure you try it and if you're vegetarian don't worry.  They make vegetarian haggis , too!

No comments:

Post a Comment